Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Why'd You Have to Go and Make Things So Complicated

It is great to get another perspective. Especially one that causes you to take a step back and see things really differently. An "a ha!" moment. Just like the picture of the woman below. Some see an old woman looking down and others see a young woman with her head turned away. It takes some serious effort to break through your preconceptions and see the other woman, but when you do it is almost like your brain experiences a sense of relief.



Although, it is just a little humbling when that relieving change in perspective comes from the mouth of a nine year old child. Jesus did say that the kingdom belonged to those such as the little children, yet it doesn't make the pill any easier to swallow. Let me give you the back story.

Since I repented from my craziness I have been praying that God would give me a second chance at ministry. In fact, I feel totally compelled that is His direction for me. At the same time, I know that my dessert experience is important and not to be rushed. I'm learning to delight in God regardless of my circumstances. So I've prayed. Knowing that it would be a miracle of God's grace.

That in a nutshell is the back story. So, in an amazingly humbling event, I am talking with a church about a job. Whether it comes to anything or not, I am filled with gratitude and awe struck by a God of forgiveness and second chances. In everything, I want to be faithful, not running ahead (as is my bent), not lagging behind.

In my effort of faithfulness I was employing those around me to pray. My daughter was one of those and I also wanted to get her thoughts on this potential new opportunity. Here is our conversation:

Me: "How would you feel about daddy going to work at pastor smith's church?"
Her: "I think it would be great. I like going and they don't have church on Saturday so we'd get to spend that together."
Me: "Would you pray for this opportunity?"
Her: "What do you want me to pray for?"
Me: "That daddy would only do what God wants. And that I have a clear direction on whether to take the job or not."
Her: "I'll pray if you want me to daddy, but it seems like this is the answer to your prayers. You've been praying for this since you came back and God knows that is what He made you to do."
Me: "Well, ok then."

Now, as you read this conversation, when my daughter said the word 'answer', say it in your mind as a nine year old would say it while explaining something super obvious to a three year old sibling. Kinda drawn out, like "aaaaannnnsssswwweeeerrrr to your prayers (aren't you my dad? shouldn't you be smarter than me? i can't believe you don't understand how prayer words dad.).

While I'm not advocating here that I should not pray, isn't it true that we over complicate things? Like if God did give me neon writing in the sky, I'd be like "yeah, but I'd be really sure if He made it a blinking neon sign."

It's all about trust. Putting your life in His hands. Trusting where He is going to send you. I think sometimes there is a semblance of distrust in our prayers. Using prayer as a disguise. "Let me pray on it" is the most common blow off in ministry. It's passive, wanting the decision to be made for me. Taking the trust out of my hands. Neon signs do not require faith. Neon signs are for the timid. From my daughter's perspective, I was already praying. This was the answer, not a point for indecision.

How simple. And in this case, how true. I'm connected to God in a way that is different from the past. I'm aware of what He's doing in my life. This IS an answer to prayer. So, one foot in front of the other I'm going to choose the path of trust. Let's see where this opportunity leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment